Sunday 18 December 2011

A thought for Advent & Week -3 Update

I recently saw this cartoon in a 'Simple Way' e-newsletter, and it has become part of my advent focus.  It's been really good to keep in mind, when thinking about gifts for Christmas, and generally keeping the season in perspective.

What's been really interesting is the number of opportunities that have come to light which have just provided tiny chances to rebalance this image.

Here are a of couple of great sites that I've come across that allow some creative gifting to others (thanks for those who have found them and passed them on!):
  • lendwithcare.org is a great microfinance site, where you can provide funding for entrepreneurs around the world.  Well done CARE International & The Co-Op 
  • Must Have Gifts from organisations such as World Vision, and it's great to see so many different ways to buy goats, chickens etc from so many more organisations nowadays

Week -3 Update

Some will think I'm sad for saying it, but I'm excited to report that I've started using the Bokashi!  So watch this space to see what impact it has on our waste weight (although I think Christmas week may not be the best timing for reducing the weight).
I helped clear out my Grandma's house this weekend, as she has moved to a care home.  From it I've got some amazing family social history, some lovely retro gear (most of which I'm going to try and sell on the amazing Albert Road, for her!), some stuff for Portsmouth Food Bank, the Red Cross Asylum Seeker Drop In, Freegle and for general recycling.  A mammoth and exhausting task, but simply getting in a house clearance firm to gut it (and probably dump lots of it) seemed wrong.

Christmas presents are still being made, and there is still a little way to go....so I'm heading off to get back to it.  Enjoy the rest of Advent!

No comments:

Post a Comment