Sunday 20 November 2011

My Reducing Waste Challenge


So as well as being more careful about what stuff comes into our house, I'm also eager to look at what goes out of our house, so as well as passing things on to others, I'm wanting us to reduce the waste that goes out in the black sack each week.

Lots of stuff goes in the green recycling bin, and we take glass to the glass banks or use and pass them on to bottle jams and chutneys (am currently making apple chutney from our orchard picking harvest).  But we still seem to have a pretty heavy black sack each week.

Previously when we had a garden we used to compost, but with our small back yard we haven't done it since moving to our new house.  A while ago I read 'Confessions of an Eco-Shopper' by Kate Lock and learnt about bokashi's for the first time.  I've been meaning to look into them for ages now, and when I logged onto StreetBank the other week and discovered locally that someone had one that I could borrow, I jumped at the chance. So I've collected it this evening, and now have to work out where to get the bran from, and need to get hold of a small compost bin as well.

So whilst I do that, I thought for the next 2 weeks I would weigh our black sack before putting it out, and have something to compare when I start composting again.  I'll probably end up having to give away the compost that we generate as I can't see us needing much in our back yard, but that just adds to the beauty of this new part of my experiment.  I'll keep you updated on progress!

Update on Weighing
23rd Nov = 10kg (before the bokashi enters our life)

No comments:

Post a Comment