Saturday 26 November 2011

No Roaring Fire This Christmas

We had our chimney swept this week and were given the sad news that it is breached with our neighbour's, so we won't be having a roaring fire this Christmas, and we won't be sending up messages to Father Christmas.

The options that we have are:
  • don't use it
  • line the chimney for around £1.5k (and have a fire that's about 20% efficient)
  • put in a wood burning stove for around £2k (and have a fire that's nearer 70% efficient).
My immediate response was....how do we get it lined?  I love fires!  I want an open fire!  I need an open fire!
 
I then took a deep breath and realised that even if we had that kind of money, my priority is putting a bay window in our kitchen to make space for a table, which would impact every day of my life, rather than a fire which would be wonderful for a few evenings a year.

God then also reminded me that we have been richly blessed with:
  • a roof over our heads
  • central heating
  • warm clothes
  • rugs
  • double glazing
  • and friends that do have open fires;-)
So in the end, it was a no brainer, and once again I was reminded how useless I am at being thankful for all the amazing things with which we are blessed.  And with the howling, cold wind outside tonight, I am very thankful!   (And Father Christmas need never fear having a scorched behind when entering our property on Christmas Eve ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment